[BBLISA-announce] March meeting: Call for Participation

Adam Moskowitz adamm at menlo.com
Thu Dec 26 13:41:16 EST 2013

In the same spirit as the April meeting (a whole evening of Lightning
Talks, ably run by Matt Simmons), the March 2014 meeting will be "Fast
Introductions." These informal 10-15 minute talks are intended to help
BBLISA members gets to know each other a bit more: who we are, who we
work for, and what kinds of things we get paid to work on. The actual
time limit will be determined by how many people sign up; the minimum
time will be 10 minutes.

The format / premise / content of the talks is simple:

    Hi, my name is <name>; I work for <company> (school,
    organization, etc.) as a <title>. I do all the usual
    <title> stuff but [ my specialty is | I mostly work
    on | my main project is ] <description>.

No slides are required (or, in fact, allowed). When you sign up, please
send me your name, title, affiliation, and contact information as you'd
like them to appear and I'll create a PowerPoint presentation with each
person's information to be displayed while you give your talk.

I'll give the first presentation, so no one has to worry about going
first; I'll also take care of timing, scheduling, etc. The order of the
speakers will be random so there's no benefit to signing up early or
late.

These talks are intended to be VERY informal: no one expects you to give
a polished presentation or to be an experienced speaker; in fact, if
you've never given a presentation, this is a really easy way to try it
out. I'd like to STRONGLY ENCOURAGE every regular attendee to sign up
for a slot; heck, even if you make it to only 1-2 meetings a year,
please sign up. First-time attendees are welcome, too; and no, you don't
have to be a sysadmin (I'm not).

This will work only if enough people sign up to give one of the
presentations, so please, sign up! To get a slot, please send me the
following information:

    Name:
	required

    Title:
	optional

    Contact info:
	optional; can include any/all of email address, Twitter/IRC
	handle(s), URL, phone number, etc.

I'll keep sending this announcement until the roster is full or until
the day before the meeting (whichever comes first).

Thanks,
Adam

P.S. - These talks are supposed to be ABOUT YOU. You can mention things
       like "we're hiring" or "we make/sell <product>" but presentations
       about recruiting, sales, or products are not welcome.