[BBLISA-announce] May Talk: Asterisk and VOIP

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Tue Apr 30 10:28:29 EDT 2013

Hello Everybody:

Please join us on Wednesday, May 8, 2013 in MIT building E-51 in room
145 for a talk by K.M. Peterson on Asterisk and VOIP:

   The near-universal provision of voice services and their terminals
   (called "telephones") predates the Internet. While on some level,
   voice traffic via TCP/IP is just another protocol, there are
   challenges in making it "just work" like the traditional phones that
   we are all used to. There are the technical issues of the nature of
   the data, interfacing with the still robust telephone network, and of
   course the UI expectations and experience.

   That means that the protocols involved - SIP and the related suite -
   were developed in the setting of a preexisting, mature, and complex
   switched network. I found that from the perspective of a systems
   administrator or network engineer there are complications,
   terminology, and conventions that aren't necessarily obvious.

   This talk will provide insight into the these technologies from that
   perspective to allow you to grasp the protocols and the context in
   which they interoperate, using an example implementation of Asterisk.

I hope to see you there.

--
				-- rouilj
John Rouillard