[BBLISA-announce] Next Wednesday's talk: Solid State Drives: Use, Performance, Caching, and More

John P. Rouillard rouilj at cs.umb.edu
Wed Sep 5 15:42:19 EDT 2012

--------Enter initial text

Hello all:

Next Wednesday, September 12, the BBLISA talk will be by:

   Dan Noe

from VeloBit in room E51-149 on:

  Solid State Drives: Use, Performance, Caching, and More.

Solid State Drives can deliver high performance, but their prices
still break the budget. SSD caching is a lower-cost method to improve
application performance by taking advantage of fewer Solid State
Drives to improve I/O. Dan will discuss SSD performance
characteristics, best practices and risks of SSD deployment, as well
as how SSD caching works and whether it can improve your performance.

Dan Noe is a Senior Software Engineer at VeloBit; previously, Dan was
an engineer at IBM/Netezza,where he worked on database storage layer
technology for the massively parallel Netezza Database Appliance. Dan
holds a B.S. in Computer Science from University of New Hampshire, is
an avid pilot and maintains Linux servers in his spare time.

Room: MIT E-51, Room 149
Date: Wednesday September 12 2012
Time: 7:00 - Announcements & Introductions
      7:25 - Door prizes (worth anywhere from $43.99 to $2.99)
      7:30 - Formal presentation

I hope to see you there.

--
				-- rouilj